Ads Versus Authenticity: Does PPC Undermine Organic Search Relevance on Search Results?
In this insightful episode of Seller Sessions, Danny McMillan welcomes Elizabeth Greene, an Amazon advertising expert and co-founder of JUNGLR. They delve into the dynamic world of Amazon advertising, discussing the platform’s latest changes and what they mean for sellers looking to scale their businesses. From exploring the nuances of PPC strategies to the evolving role of AI in Amazon’s ecosystem, this episode is a must-listen for anyone looking to stay ahead in the competitive world of Amazon.
Danny McMillan’s Discussion on Amazon’s Search Matching System
Danny McMillan expands on this by discussing the evolution of Amazon’s search matching system. He explains that Amazon initially used a lexical matching system where single words were indexed. Over time, this evolved into semantic matching, which considers the context of the words, and further advanced with the introduction of BERT (Bidirectional Encoder Representations from Transformers). BERT enhances the understanding of language, allowing for more human-like interpretations of search queries.
Concerns About Ads in Amazon Search Results
Despite these advancements, Danny points out a significant concern: the search results pages on Amazon are increasingly populated with ads. This heavy ad presence pushes down organic search results, potentially conflicting with Amazon’s goal of delivering the most relevant search results. Danny questions whether there might be a shift in focus to increase relevance in search results around ads, as Amazon’s primary goal is to ensure a great search experience, regardless of whether they come from organic search results or paid ads.
Speculations on the Future of Amazon’s Search Relevance
He also speculates about the future of Amazon’s approach to handling the balance between ad-driven and organically relevant search results. He acknowledges that while there are certain limitations on what keywords can be targeted in ads, the control largely lies with advertisers who are paying for ad placements. This creates a dynamic where the relevance of search results could be at odds with paid ads in terms of overall relevance. Danny suggests that this might lead to customer frustration if they don’t receive the level of relevant search results and ponders how Amazon will address this issue going forward… If indeed they will, as this is a massive profit center for them.
Key Topics Discussed:
- The Future of PPC on Amazon: Elizabeth shares her thoughts on where PPC is heading in the coming years, including the impact of new tools and features.
- Challenges and Opportunities with Amazon Ads: Discussion on the complexities and potential of Amazon’s advertising platform, including the importance of data access and budget rules.
- Amazon’s Algorithm Evolution: Danny and Elizabeth discuss the progression from lexical to semantic matching and the introduction of BERT, exploring its impact on search results and PPC.
- Relevance in Amazon Listings: A deep dive into the importance of relevance in product listings and how Amazon’s algorithm interprets this.
- AI’s Role in Enhancing User Experience: The conversation turns to how AI is influencing shopping experiences on Amazon, with a focus on listing optimization and the potential future shifts in strategy.
- Optimising Product Images: Insights on the significance of correctly categorising product images for better alignment with Amazon’s search algorithm (image attributes).
- Junglr Website: Explore the services offered by Elizabeth’s Amazon ad agency.
- Elizabeth Greene on LinkedIn: Follow Elizabeth for more insights into Amazon advertising.
This episode of Seller Sessions with Elizabeth Greene offers valuable insights into the current trends and future directions of Amazon’s advertising landscape. Whether you’re a new seller or looking to scale your existing business, understanding these dynamics is crucial for success on the platform.