In this episode, we discuss with Tomer Rabinovich why search volume doesn’t really matter and his approach to product research.
Product selection in general
- There are a lot of gurus out there BUT they have almost the same approach
- Everyone is doing that.
So how do you stand out? The process…
- This is good for beginners: watch for new products
- Think of competitive products – where the demand keeps growing and caters to everyone
- Find sub-niches and find those products: cellphone is a parent niche, sub-niche cellphones for kids
- Start out with specific niche which has high demand
- How about locations like US which has very competitive long-tail keywords? Doesn’t matter. Process works everywhere.
- We use Helium10 for search and Cerebro where you can take and compare competitors
- We do not use search volume because it makes you miss out on higher revenue products
- Do not filter by certain search volume
- Target specific persons – create a profile.
- THINK: they need a yoga mat what else will they need?
- Reverse engineer what search term they use. ONLY AFTER: you have selected a product for that profile.
- We base everything on our competitors as benchmark: photos, price and etc.
- We put everything in Cerebro and Helium 10: we use rankings 1 to 5 as basis for ASINs.
- If Amazon suggests words where we will bid, we will put a lower bid for those low ranking keywords because we know we will not convert.
- We will put higher bid on words we know we will convert based on the analytics.
- We initially set up PPC for the product and get some reviews from the start
- We use lists, rebate key.. MIX YOUR STRATEGY
- Target different keywords in lists, rebates etc.
- Do not use the same keywords throughout your tools
- SFB: Search, find, buy — we ask customers to type keyword + brand name
- Do not aim to rank on lower pages like page 10– it doesn’t convert and not worth it.
- IMPORTANT: make sure you have reviews before you bid on keywords
- If you do not convert then Amazon pushes you back a few pages with your ad.
- What you see on sponsored ads are top competitors with good conversion
- The goal is to convert best for a keyword or term so you can save and make more profits.
Tomer’s Tips for Success
- Do not launch mediocre products
- This will not be sustainable in the long term and will not bring profit
- Sell good products!
- Target a specific sub-niche/ niche
- Improve the product
Connect with Tomer Rabinovich
Website: https://www.tomerrabinovich.com and he will be joining us in China Magic
Join us in these key events!
September 7 – Orange Hat Mastermind | Check event HERE
September 12-14 – Sellerfest Lithuania | Check event HERE
October 1 – Birmingham Linn Academy | Check event HERE
October3 & 4 – Amsterdam PPC Congress | Check event HERE
October 17 – AmaFest Manchester | Check event HERE
October 22- 23rd – Cross Border Summit and China Magic the same week!
October 27 and 29 – Global Sources | Check event HERE
October 14-20 – India Sourcing Trip | Check event HERE